Tucked away a quiet spot along the avenue is the Mausoleum of Mitchell and Margaret Henry. This simple brick building is a modest resting place with an aura of peace and serenity. When Margaret died on a family holiday to Egypt in 1874, her body was embalmed in preparation for the return journey to Ireland. Local folklore tells that her beautifully preserved remains were placed in a glass coffin in the staircase hall supposedly with her hands placed serenely beneath her cheeks. In time Margaret’s remains were placed in the little mausoleum in the woods where in 1910 following his death in London her great love Mitchell Henry was also interred. Although the beautiful neo-Gothic Church was completed in 1881 no member of the Henry family was ever placed in it’s vaults. Today you can visit the Mausoleum which is located just after the neo-Gothic Church on the left hand side of the avenue.
This picture shows Ashley Stone who came to visit the resting place of her great-great-great-grandparents in 2015. In 2016 we received a visit from her father Tim Stone, great-great grandson of Margaret and Mitchell Henry. When Ashley visited it was a delightful occasion which brought Kylemore Abbey back into contact with the direct descendants of the Henry family. We hope this is relationship that will grow and last and we look forward to hosting a Henry family reunion some time in the near future.