Discover the hidden tracks and trails of the Kylemore Abbey Estate on one of Connemara's most spectacular mountain hikes and woodland and river walks. Explore the mountainous valley above Kylemore for breath-taking views over Connemara. Experience the beautiful scenery and learn about the fascinating folklore of Kylemore and Connemara.
Walks & Trails
Kylemore’s 1,000 acre estate is traversed with a number of beautiful woodland, lakeshore and riverside walks. Coming for the Summer of 2021 are a number of new walks that follow old paths as they take you through the less seen parts of the estate. Tree Trails, helpful signage and interesting facts for kids on route will keep the whole family entertained as you discover the fascinating ecology and history of Kylemore and the wider Connemara region.
Please see below for further details.
All walks and trails are included in your ticket. Good footwear is recommended, walks and trails vary in difficulty please see the individual signage for each trail. Hikes
Private hikes take you across the rugged Duchruach Mountain which lies behind Kylemore Abbey. Our experienced guide will regale you and your group with the history, lore and spectacular wildlife as you navigate the mountain. Get up close with the Sacred Heart Statue and powerful waterfalls and see witness the “Garden Lake” which has supplied Kylemore with fresh, pure water for over 150 years.
Costs outline below.
Please note the Sacred Heart Statue is only accessible by guided hike.
Private hikes are currently on hold. We apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to opening our hikes again once it is safe to do so.
- Advanced booking is required for group and private hikes.
- To book a hike please call the Visitor Centre on 095 52001 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Guided Hikes are subject to guide availability, weather and safety considerations.
- Kylemore Abbey and Gardens Ltd reserve the right to cancel a hike.
- Maximum group size is 14 persons per guide, for larger groups, a second guide can be booked.
- Safety Considerations:
- Hill walking is not devoid of risk. The paths have sections of loose stones and depending on the weather may be slippery.
- The paths cross wet boggy ground, small streams and steep ground as the paths reaches heights of 300m above the Abbey.
- To minimize risk ensure you have appropriate hiking footwear, rain gear, extra warm clothes and or/ sunscreen and a bottle of water with you.
- Participants must be aged 14 years and over. Participants under 18 years must be accompanied by an adult. Participants should have a reasonable level of fitness.
- Email: email@example.com | Tel: +353 95 52001